Celebrate our county on Somerset Day
PUBLISHED: 16:05 30 April 2018 | UPDATED: 16:05 30 April 2018
Our May 11 events will be taking place across the county to celebrate Somerset Day
Those of us who live and work in Somerset know that our diverse region has a wealth of treasure from beautiful and historic cities, through rich farming traditions, to a business community which ranges from ground-breaking engineering and manufacturing to financial services. And let’s not forget the fantastic food and drink for which this area is perhaps most renowned.
Somerset Day celebrates our county as a place to live, work and play and the organisers would like everyone to get involved.
With a host of events taking place on and around May 11, celebrate this fantastic county we live in. Why not join in with one of these special activities, or even organise your own?
New this year is the Great Somerset Tea Party being organised by and in aid of St Margaret’s Hospice Care.
Taking place on the May 11, 12 and 13, there will be tea parties galore, all in aid of a fundraising target of £26,000. Visit somerset-hospice.org.uk for more details.
A glorious celebration of local musical talent will take place at Cedars Hall in Wells on May 12, starting at 6.30pm. Enjoy music from The Drystones, Yeovilton Military Wives Choir and brilliant young musicians and celebrity guests from across the county, compered by Ben McGrail of ITV West Country, raising funds for the Somerset Hospice Movement. Contact the Box Office for tickets on 01749 834483.
• St John’s Church, Taunton, summer lunchtime concert.
• Pride of Somerset Youth Awards at Bridgwater and Taunton College Conference Centre, 6.30pm.
• A Race Against Time: The Story of the Kenyon Photographic Archive at Museum of Somerset, 2.30pm
• Cothelstone Hill Heritage Walk. A walk to discover the archaeology and natural history of the hill, 10am to noon.
• Railway Inn, Sandford, cider and cheese tasting and the Mendip Morrismen, from 6-7pm.
• Bishops Lydeard Craft Fair and Entertainment, noon-4pm.
• Somerset Food and Craft Fair and Flower Festival, Long Sutton Village Hall and Church.
• eat:Taunton, Hammet Street and St Mary Magdalene Church, 10am-4pm.
• Shapwick Starlets WI Somerset Day Craft Fair, 2–5pm.
Local Producer’s Fayre, Brean Leisure Park.
A full list of events can be found at somersetday.com.