'BEST ENGLISH CHEESE' COMES TO BATH
PUBLISHED: 16:06 07 October 2011 | UPDATED: 20:06 20 February 2013
'Devon Blue' by Ticklemore Cheese has been honoured with the title 'Best English Cheese' at this year's British Cheese Awards.
Devon Blue by Ticklemore Cheese has been honoured with the title Best English Cheese at this years British Cheese Awards. Ticklemore Cheese won the prestigious accolade at the ceremony in Cardiff on 23rd September, and are one of the 20 top artisan cheesemakers showing off their craft at the Fine Cheese Co Festival at Milsom Place, Bath on 29th October.
Devon Blue won over judges with its very crumbly, barely formed rind and minimal blueing which offers the cheese lover a unique blue cheese flavour. Neither strong nor mild it is smoky, chocolatety and with a finish reminiscent of tarragon and white wine.
Top Ten Gold Award Winning Cheeses in Bath for taste off
Bath is hosting gold medal winners on Saturday 29th October for Milsom Places Fine Cheese Co. Festival. Celebrating artisan British cheese in beautiful Bath, award-winning artisan cheese makers will be on hand for talks and tastings. Dont miss the chance to get up close and personal with makers of some of the most highly prized cheeses in the UK. The festival can be found in Milsom Place from 10.00 am until 5.00 pm, right at the heart of the historic city.
In the last 15 years British cheesemaking has doubled, surpassing the French and now claims to make a staggering 700 different types of cheese. Here are a few of the cheese champs:
1. Cornish Blue by The Cornish Cheese Co - a World Cheese Champion having scooped the top award at the World Cheese Awards 2010, as well as being named Supreme Champion Cheese 2010 at the Royal Bath & West Show.
2. Devon Blue by Ticklemore Cheese Best English Cheese at the British Cheese Awards 2011. It is crumbly, with minimal blueing, smoky, and with a finish reminiscent of tarragon and white wine.
3. Golden Cenarth by Caws Cenarth Cheese - Golden Cenarth was born of curiosity, after cheese-maker Carwyn discovered an orange culture growing on their traditional cheese. The cheese enjoyed a hat-trick of prizes at the British Cheese Awards, named Supreme Champion 2010, Best Welsh and Best Semi-Soft Cheese.
4. Traditional Farmhouse Cheddar by Keens Cheddar - Cherished by cheddar aficionados, this cheese has been made by Keens on the lush pastures at Moorhayes Farm Somerset since 1899. Two cups, two Gold and four Silver awards at the Royal Bath & West Show proves their cheese is a classic.
5. Cornish Crumbly by Whalesborough Cheese Sue Proudfoots unique family of cheeses have a stack of awards between them, including Gold at the International Cheese Show 2010, and Silver at the World Cheese Awards 2010 for Cornish Crumbly. Also taste test her Keltic Gold, dipped in local cider for apple overtones.
6. Wyfe of Bath Cheese by Bath Soft Cheese Co - Local and loved Bath Soft Cheese Co won a string of Gold awards this year for their organic Wyfe of Bath cheese, including the British Cheese Awards in Cardiff, the International Cheese Awards Nantwich and the Royal Bath & West Show.
7. Westcombe Unpasteurised Mature Cheddar by Westcombe Dairy Over 100 years of experience has been poured into their traditional cloth bound cheese which recently won Best Cheddar award at the Royal Bath and West Show 2011.
8. Traditional Curworthy by Curworthy Cheese The not-to-be-missed morish and creamy Traditional Curworthy was awarded 1st prize at both Devon County Show, and the Mid Somerset Show.
9. Applebys Cheshire By Applebys Cheese Enjoying a winning streak, the Cheshire cheese was awarded a cup and two Gold awards at the International Cheese Awards Nantwich, as well as Champion Farmhouse Cheshire at the Cheshire Show.
10. And finally, the Wine at Sharpham Vineyard & Cheese Dairy International award winning red and white wines make great partners to their cheese, and were particularly popular at last years festival!
A stellar line up of the nations favourite cheeses also includes Hampshire Cheeses, Whitelake Cheese, Lyburn, Sparkenhoe, Sleight Farm, Northumberland Cheese Co, Haford Welsh Organic Cheddar, Cooleeneny Farm, and of course the Fine Cheese Co.
Anne-Marie of the Fine Cheese Co. said, we have plucked out some of the best cheeses in the UK for the Milsom Place Festival. These are pure artisans who have created champion cheeses by perfecting their craft.
Milsom Place is the St Christophers Place of Bath ; right in the heart of the retail district with a great mix of interesting independent and high street brands with lively restaurants.
Date: 4th October 2011
For further information visit http://www.milsomplace.co.uk/. Tel: 01225 789040.