PUBLISHED: 09:00 27 April 2014
For the brownie:
275g butter, softened
375g caster sugar
75g cocoa powder
100g self-raising flour
50g plain chocolate chips
50g dark chocolate chips
1. Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer or food processor. Don’t worry if the chocolate chips seem lumpy as they’ll melt into pockets of chocolate deliciousness.
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the chocolate mix onto it about 2.5cm deep.
3. Bake for 35 minutes in an oven preheated to 180C/160 fan, turning the tray around after 20
minutes. The brownies should be crusty on the outside and gooey in the middle, so check from 25
minutes onwards and don’t overcook.
Half vanilla pod
300g mascarpone cheese
50ml double cream
50g icing sugar
1. To make the vanilla mascarpone filling, split the vanilla pod and use a small knife to scrape the seeds from half of it into a bowl. (Keep the rest of the pod in a jar for
2. Add the other ingredients and mix gently, ensuring the
sugar and vanilla are evenly dispersed. Note – the mixture is not meant to be too sweet, as the brownies contain a lot of sugar.
3. Use an 8-10cm round cutter and cut out 20 discs from the brownie. Set aside the 10 best rounds to use as tops, spread the rest with a generous dollop of mascarpone (or you can pipe it if you prefer) and make sandwiches, pressing down gently so the mascarpone oozes out appealingly.
4. Dust with icing sugar. Best served with coffee and friends.