Recipe by chef Josh Eggleton: Pear & Ginger Chutney
PUBLISHED: 10:20 13 November 2018
Josh Eggleton, winner of ‘Chef of the Year’ at the Somerset Life Food & Drink Awards 2018, gives us an exclusive recipe for his Pear & Ginger Chutney
Pear & Ginger Chutney
Portions: Approx. 1 litre
Cooking time: Approx. 1 hour 40 minutes
• 750g Pears, peeled, cored and diced to 1cm
• 120g Cooking Apples, peeled, cored and diced to 1cm
• 250g Very Ripe Tomatoes on the vine
• 120g White Onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 120g Sultanas
• 2 Oranges, juice and zest
• 30g Fresh Peeled Ginger, grated
• 300ml White Wine Vinegar
• 1 tsp Sea Salt
• 300g Caster Sugar
• ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
• ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
• ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
• 2 pinches Saffron
1. To prepare the tomatoes, bring a pan of water to the boil. Cut an ‘X’ shape on the bottoms of the tomatoes and then put them in the boiling water for 30 seconds. Peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds and core before very neatly cutting the flesh into squares.
2. Combine all the ingredients, except the pears and apples, in a thick-bottomed saucepan and bring to the boil over a very low heat, stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon.
3. Continue to cook out and stir occasionally, for approximately 1 hour until the mixture is jam-like and syrupy. Test by dipping a spoon into the mixture and wiping your finger down the back of the spoon; it should leave a clear trace.
4. Add the pears and apples and cook very gently for another 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Pour the chutney into a food container and leave to cool completely before placing in the fridge until needed (it will keep for several weeks).