Summer raspberry cake
PUBLISHED: 11:18 22 June 2015 | UPDATED: 11:18 22 June 2015
PHOTO: Lara Holmes
Mulberry founder Roger Saul has come up with a different set of marvellous creations
MAKES: 23cm/9in cake
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 1 hour
175g/6 oz unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
300g/10 ½ oz/2 cups raspberries
175g/6oz/scant 1 cup light soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs lightly beaten
200g/7oz/1 2/3 cups white spelt flour
100g/3 ½ oz/1 cup ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
2 tbsp caster sugar or icing sugar, sifted, for sprinkling (optional)
Double cream or crème fraiche to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180º C/350ºF/Gas 4 and grease and line a 23cm/9in round springform cake tin.
2. Arrange the raspberries, hole-side down, across the base of the prepared tin, wedging them in so they are tightly packed. Reserve any left over.
3. Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, until pale and fluffy.
4. Stir in the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour with each egg to prevent the mixture from splitting.
5. Add the ground almonds and stir, then add the remaining flour, baking powder and salt and stir through until the mixture is evenly blended and there are no major lumps of flour.
6. Carefully fold in any remaining raspberries, stirring once or twice.
7. Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
8. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
9. Turn upside down on to a wire rack to cool.
10. Sprinkle with caster or icing sugar, if you like, and serve with double cream or crème fraiche.