Recipe: Sweet potato tempura
PUBLISHED: 13:59 25 November 2020 | UPDATED: 14:06 25 November 2020
Try Somerset Life Chef of the Year Steve James’ sweet potato appetiser
300g of sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3m chips
90g self raising flour
200ml sparkling water
Pinch of Dorset sea Salt
Oil for frying
1. Boil the sweet potato in salted water for five minutes until tender, drain and let all the steam evaporate (this can be done the day ahead).
2. When ready to serve heat the oil to 180C or in a deep pan until a breadcrumb sizzles.
3. Mix together the flour and sparkling water with a good pinch of salt until smooth.
4. Dip the sweet potato into the batter and then fry until crisp and slightly golden.
5. Serve hot with the tahini, sriracha and preserved lemon dip.
For the tahini, sriracha and preserved lemon dip
2tbsps fussels rapeseed oil
2 small preserved lemons, seeds removed and finely diced
4tsp sriracha sauce
Pinch of flaked Dorset Sea Salt
1. Mix all together and place in the fridge until you want to serve. Because of the tahini it will thicken considerably so you will need to add water to the sauce to make it the consistency you desire