Recipe: Herby tomato soup
PUBLISHED: 11:20 30 November 2020 | UPDATED: 14:03 30 November 2020
The Pig Hotel near Bath shares this easy recipe for a warming tomato soup
Makes 4 large bowls
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 leek, chopped
500g (1lb 2oz) soft plum tomatoes
500g (1lb 2oz) cherry tomatoes
3 sprigs rosemary
3 sprigs thyme
2tbsps balsamic vinegar
300ml (1⁄2 pint) tomato juice (we use The Tomato Stall)
1. Chop and sweat down the garlic, onions, celery and leeks in a little oil.
2. Roast both types of tomatoes with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper at 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. You want them to have a little colour and to be nice and juicy.
3. In a good-sized pan, combine the sweated-down veg and tomatoes with the vinegar and tomato juice. Make sure you’ve got your pinny on as it can spit a bit at this point. Simmer on a medium heat for 10–15 minutes.
4. Now it should be smelling good, so blend together with a hand blender or in a food processor.
5. Pass through a sieve to get rid of any herb stalks, pour into a bowl and grab a chunk of crusty bread.
THE PIG, Tales and Recipes from the kitchen garden and beyond is available to buy via The Pig website.